Wednesday, July 30, 2008

You Say It's My Birthday???

A Memory from a Summer-Long-Gone. One of my brothers and me during one of our many trips to the beach... circa 1981ish.

Well another year has come and gone. It is my 36th birthday today. It doesn't bother me that I am another year older. 36 really means nothing to me. My life continues on as it has for the last several years. But I am bothered by a few things...To me my birthday has always signaled that summer is coming to an end. When I was young I would get school clothes for birthday presents. As a teacher it means it is time to start heading into the classroom to prepare for the upcoming year. It is bittersweet. A happy day that I spend hearing from loved ones and friends... 36 years of relative happiness and health is nothing to thumb your nose at! And don't get me wrong... I am grateful for every second. But this year's stint as a stay-at-home mom is coming to a rapid end. It is not that I don't look forward to the new class I will have or the upcoming events of the next year. But time is marching...VERY QUICKLY! And I find that on my birthday, I always wish that it would slow down a little. That my kids would stay innocent for a little longer... That we all had more time to spend together... I know, I know! BOO HOO! I will get over myself now!

I actually had a great day. My family gave me a Mother's Ring for my birthday. I spent the day at work and felt I got something accomplished. Being at work gave me the chance to spend time with some of my dearest friends. We had goodies! YUM! My kids came home from camp with flowers for me. My husband took me out for dinner without the children! We actually had a conversation at the table that didn't involve wiping kids mouths or cleaning up spills (Thanks to my mother in law for watching the kids). Then the neighbors came down and the kids played and we had a campfire. We laughed and gossiped and were serenaded by the girls singing songs from Hannah Montana. The kids made s'mores. I found out that you can tell a lot about a person about how they toast a marshmallow. Then my husband bathed and read to the kids and it is off to bed. A wonderful day and a great birthday! Thank You and here's to another year!
The kids hang out after toasting some marshmallows.


My son and our neighbor posing for a picture. They humored me and stopped running for a split second to smile for me. Then they were off! Start your engine's Dudes!




The neighborhood ladies of song. They needed some refreshment after singing to us. Here they pose with their marshmallows.



There is no denying that my daughter has inherited my sweet-tooth. We would set up graham crackers and chocolate for the kids. She would sneak up and steal the chocolate. When you say, "What do you have?" she has no quams about showing you! Such a delicate flower!

No comments: