Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Many Gifts of Families

It has been an ultra busy week for us. Something scheduled every day. Lots of company and friends. On Friday we went on a trip to the beach to see one of my brothers and his wife (my daughter's Godparents) and (the icing on the cake) my niece. She is only 7 or so months younger than my daughter. We have it on good authority that they are going to be a formidable pair when they grow up. The attitudes between them at the age of 1 are incredible. Watch out world...Here they come. The only down side is they live in DC so we are apart for most of the year. So when they decided to vacation a couple hours away from where we live, at the Cape where we spend many summer days as kids, it was exciting to have the extra time to spend together.
Here is a picture of my sister-in-law swimming with my son, my brother swimming with my niece, and my husband swimming with our daughter. The waves were really rough that day but the kids still loved it.

My sweet niece (donning a milk moustache) has a little snack on the deck of the cottage. Actually she found it was more fun to feed them to the rest of us. My sister-in-law and I could see a lot of similar expressions between our two daughters. They both have the same scowl and the same inquisitive expression (complete with little hand gestures). She started to warm up to me and even let me take her for a little walk by the end of the day. I was thrilled!

Our children swimming with my husband playing a game of "fetch" with the tennis ball. My daughter's expression is priceless and reveals just how much happiness being with her dad and being in the water brings her.

In an effort to avoid a melt-down from my son when overtiredness set in, he and I went for a walk back to the beach. We call these our "dates" and try to squeeze them in whenever possible. He and I walked along the shore and looked for shells and rocks. He wrote his name in the sand and showed me how fast he could run. It is times like this that I wish I could bottle to take out on a rainy day. I snapped a picture of his little footprint so I would remember how small it looked on the deserted beach.

Chelsea's greatest pleasure was climbing up and down the bulkhead at the cottage. Dangerous? Maybe. But we all did it and survived. Besides, there is no denying that she was enjoying herself.

No comments: