Thursday, July 10, 2008

I am a bargain addict!

I have a problem... I love decorating. The bigger problem...I love a bargain! It is a serious thrill when I find something on the cheap. The thrill is only made more acute when I see a similar item priced outrageously somewhere else. I know many places in the central Massachusetts area where treasures can be found. Some are big chain stores, some little holes in the wall. I don't know what the best part is... the hunt? The find? Taking it home and finding the perfect spot for it? Making little alterations to it to make it just perfect? ALL OF IT! The whole experience.

I am a mom with two young children who are 5 1/2 and almost 2. My son and daughter have been subjected to many shopping trips that have taken us off the beaten path. And my husband... don't get him started! He claims to hate it when he has to go along, but sometimes I find him getting really into it. In my real life I am a first grade teacher. In my summer life I am a stay-at-home mom. In my dream world, I am an interior decorator/ personal shopper. I have a primal urge to hunt things down and get the most for my money....dress them up and display them. I am not claiming that I have any kind of talent at this, mind you! I just know what I like. I just gain considerable happiness when I feel like I have got a deal. And with 2 young kids, and a house that is usually full of their friends or my friends' kids, I need any bargain I can find. Some call it cheap, I call it smart. It is like emotional protection for myself. I know that I am not going to have an emotional breakdown if something gets broken or scratched (and God knows it always does eventually). Instead I can smile and say, "Oh well, I got my money's worth. I only paid $2.99!"

I bought this little star lamp at a chain discount store. I actually threw it in as an after-thought. It was around $5.99. I added the plaid fabric when I brought it home to give it a more primitive country feel. I saw the same thing in two different specialty stores for $24.99. Wahoo! That felt great. 1 point for the cheap date...expensive gift shops: 0!

1 comment:

Kerri said...

I love your first post. And I am so glad that I get to go with you on some of the adventures. Here's to many more fun trips!