Sunday, July 13, 2008

A First for Me

Well the resident cheapo has experienced something new today... a new shopping adventure. My mother-in-law and her husband took my family (including kids) to the Brimfield Antiques Fair. My M-I-L is a great marathon shopper. We have a great time together on these adventures. Sometimes her mother, my husband's grandmother, joins us, too, making it even more fun. Anyhow, I had never been to Brimfield before. Now frugals like myself have to look hard for their bargains. But it was the last day of the fair so many vendors were willing to mark down. It was really interesting! I was informed that many of the vendors had packed up after yesterday, being that it was Saturday and probably the busiest days. But even on a Sunday there were still miles of antique booths. My son (an avid fan of trains) got a steel railroad spike. My daughter got some 70's beads (She kept showing them off and asking "Pretty?". I continued on my star theme and bought several things to enhance my decor. I spluged a little, but also fell upon some real bargains. My kids rode in our little red wagon and thought it was cool. It made me long for a somewhat bigger house (not a McMansion mind you, just more than my current 1,040 sq feet) and a truck to transport stuff (the Honda Accord doesn't cut it). But I settled for a small group of trinkets. We stayed for about 4 hours, including a trip to the food court and a narrow dodge of a complete and total melt-down from our 1 1/2 year old daughter. We only saw a fraction of what was there, but had a full day nonetheless. A lot of walking, which I am counting on to send my kids to bed easily and early tonight. Brimfield hosts another antiques fair in September. I am thinking it is high time to grab my hunting buddy and head out again, then!
One of my finds: a painted star tray. It has cool hardware and is distressed. The color-scheme fits my house. Right now I am using it to keep things tidy on my trunk/coffee table!

No comments: