Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend... Hello Summer!

The rest of the weekend after Football Saturday was nice and restful. The perfect way to welcome summer. If only the school calendar was cooperating. Not so much as we have 20 days left. Oh well. Still better than punching a clock in an office.

We did some work outside this weekend. I planted some marigolds in the window boxes. It is the only plant I seem to be able to keep alive in there. I would love to have big drapy plants cascading over the edges of the boxes but I have tried and killed them. I am just not that dedicated to gardening. I like how the window boxes make the house look, so I try to put something colorful in there when the summer hits. I also bought a hanging plant.

One of the positive aspects of the yard having the gynormous dirt pile in it is that we have been able to take out some nice-sized rocks with which we edged some of the gardens. Here is a peak:

The little duck family figurines are Chelsea's favorites. She used to talk to them last summer.

On Sunday night, John worked and I took the kids to get ice cream with some of my friends. They both ordered watermelon sherbet and refused to eat it once it arrived! It is a good thing those kids are cute!
Ice cream waster number 1.
Ice cream waster #2. They totally don't get that from ME! I ate every drop of my double scoop cookie dough waffle cone!
Chelsea was excited to see the "monster goats". I am not sure what makes them monsters, but she was ready to see them the minute we pulled in to the parking lot.
Here they are posing in front of the goat pen.
The goats were the big attraction (especially since the ice cream certainly was NOT!). Then Chelsea saw the cows. Everytime Chelsea would yell to them and they would keep doing the cow things they do. And Chelsea would get mad at them and stomp her feet! She was so mad.
Chelsea dressed for the event. No outfit is complete without the purple butterfly rainboots these days!
On the way home we spotted some of out neighbors playing whiffle ball. Travis was excited to join them! He hit the ball four times and wanted to play more. I didn't have the heart to make him come home because he was finally showing a little enthusiasm over the game of baseball.
Travis looks stunned that he made contact with the ball.
Here he is rounding second base!
The neighborhood whiffle ball game reminded me of being little and the huge whiffle ball games we used to have with my dad, his friend Jack, and all the neighborhood kids. We had this hilly back yard behind the apartement we were living in. But for whatever reason the neighborhood kids would congregate there a few times a summer for these huge games. We would run up the hill to first base and have to run down the hill to get to third. It was nice to be in that atmosphere again. The big boys went easy on the little kids, so they scored lots of homeruns! Travis came home happy and tired!
On Memorial Day morning Chelsea and I took a walk with her baby. She pushed her carriage around the block. As with so many of these sweet moments, it ended with her screaming and kicking when it was time to go in. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.
Travis and John decided to investigate the big hole. Travis wants it to be a moat! Very funny! They were pulling pavers and bricks out of the hole to try to salvage what they could. After all, those things cost money! Now we have just finished supper and have to start thinking about school tomorrow. BOOOOO! I guess I had better go help with the clean up...

2 comments:

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

OH MY WORD! I got the shivers reading your comment. That is amazing and scary at the same time!

Then I laughed out loud literally when you called them ice cream wasters and mentioned how the nice walk ended with screaming and crying. I so remember days like that. And I am so glad that when Liliana starts crying and fussing when she doesn't get her way, I will be able to a) give in (my job is to SPOIL her after all or b) hand her back to her parents. No wonder they say being a grand parent is so great!!

Leslie said...

I'm happy to hear that you had a great weekend in spite of the other joys of raising kids mixed in there :) No day is complete without tears, whining or arguing when there are kids in the house, right? :D

Too funny about the moat! And great use of the rocks :) I do the same around here. Any rock I find, gets a new use. They're free...so much better than pavers!!

Have a great day :)

Leslie