Sunday, May 24, 2009

Changes!

Things continue to change on a daily basis here at the Big Dig! The cement truck came on Friday! They poured the footings for the new foundation for the kitchen and the addition.
Chelsea donned her "Daisy Duke" look... the miniskirt and the rain boots while watching the truck work. Girl's got style!

Then it was off to Travis's school for the Memorial Day program. I was part of the committee doing the Memorial Day program at my own school, so I couldn't go. But John and Chelsea went. They sang "Proud to be an American" and signed the words as well! Travis was very excited that we were singing that at my program as well.
On Saturday morning John was playing in a football game. His department at the hospital (ER) was playing against another floor (Ortho) to raise money for a family whose mom died. It was the sister of one of the men in the ortho department. So off the field for the kids and me. I laughed a little when I saw that the name on John's shirt said "Gimpy". He does have bad knees, ankles and a rotator cuff. What business he has playing any sport is beyond me... but FOOTBALL???!!! I held my breath each time he was put in the game. And he loves to be active so it was nice to see him in his element. Softball is definitely more his speed, though. I think he has played in his last football game for a while, as when he woke up this morning, he could barely move. When I asked him what hurt, he said, "EVERYTHING!" Poor guy.
The kids kept busy by running around the track!
John in action.... He is the big white guy... #15.
John getting pushy!
John is standing on the sidelines (Gimpy) strategizing with his teammates!

Here is a team picture of John's team. They were the "Bone Crushers". The other team was called "Surgical Steel".
Here are both teams! The ortho guys won the trophy (which Travis is convinced is the Piston Cup from the movie CARS :).

John was met by his fan club at the end of the game.

Our family at the field. His team lost, but he said he had a blast. Better luck next year!

2 comments:

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

OH NO NO NO!! You cannot call it the big dig!! LOL It WILL become the big dig if you do that and oh boy, 5 years later we will still be watching it get finished!

I do have to say that Chelsea made a cute cheering section for the pouring.

Leslie and family said...

HOLY COW...Been there done that with the kitchen and an add on...it is pretty crazy...especially while you are living there...What's to come in the new addition? a new kitchen and another room upstairs??
Can't wait to see it when I come home.