Sunday, May 17, 2009

Rock Lobster!!!!!

Well after a day of galavanting yesterday, I stuck pretty close to home today. My neighbors had invited the kids and me up for Chinese food and wine (just for me on the wine) last night. Then we stayed to watch a movie and came home right around 9:00. I got up at 7:30 with the kids this morning and John (who had been up a lot last night with Chelsea) went back to bed for a few hours. It started off as a lazy day. It was gray and cold in these parts. I had a hard time motivating myself but eventually I forced myself to get going!

I organized the 3-season porch, which is currently being used as storage until after construction is over. I have my homeshow stuff out there and a big drysink that I got second hand for only $20! Painting it will be one of my summer projects. I love my porch and the thought of it being unused all summer long was too much for me to bear. So I tried to contain the storage to only half of the porch so we could still sit on the love seat and read, etc.

Next on the list... the living room. I vacuumed and swept and dusted and tweaked the accessories. While I finished that, John vacuumed the rugs in the kitchen. I was pretty proud of the result:

***************************************************************************

By the time we finished it was time to head over to my In-Laws' house. We had made plans to celebrate my mother-in-law's birthday and Mother's Day today since we were gone most of the weekend last week. Mid-week we got a phone call saying that they were kicking off "summer" with lobsters tonight. Lobster is a major treat for my husband. His family loves their lobsters. I like it okay, but not enough to work for it. My brother in law Ian, the kids, and I had chicken (but I did accept a few bites of everyone's lobster once the de-shelling was complete.

Travis and Chelsea were perfectly content with their feast of chicken and corn. Chelsea thinks that all chicken should look like chicken nuggets, so she was ticked when it was actual chicken! Grandma BJ to the rescue with chicken nuggets!!!
Grandpa Ernie is the biggest lobster nut I have ever met. He loves it! He gets pretty messy so I took a "before picture" of him.
Here are Grandma Peg and Bonnie posing with our lobster buddies. This was before the lobsters were doled out.

John and Travis joined the lovely ladies for the next picture. Can you see the drool running down John's chin???
John is in heaven with one of his favorite microbrewed beers and his lobster.
You can tell a lot about a man by his hands!
Ernie was what I would call a hoarder. He got every little itty bitty piece of meat out of his lobster before he ate any. And then he ate EVERYTHING! The green junk and everything. God help the soul who comes between Ernie and his lobster. It wouldn't be pretty!
This is another shot of Ernie gazing adoringly at his lobster meat! Love at first bite! But I am proud (and astonished) to say that even though Ernie is a man who LOVES his lobster, he gave me a piece of his. Then Ian pointed out that I was getting a lot of lobster meat off of other people's plates and doing none of the work. He blew my cover! Now I don't know if I will be able to get away with that next time. I just might have to get my own! What a nice day! I love days like this when I can make my own agena. It was a great way to end the weekend. Happy Birthday to Bonnie! Happy Almost-Summer to all! Won't be long until school is out and it will be summer for real!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh, yum! I have only had lobster a few times in my life...it's a little harder to get down here and a tad bit pricier! LOL Looks like a great and yummy time :)

Leslie

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

UMMM - I HATE lobster so I wouldn't even look twice at it never mind work for it. LOL Yes, I have tried it many times and it gets even less appealing the older I get. I can't even stand the smell of it. In fact ALL fish and seafood get less appealing! LOL But we have the same type of lobster lovers in my family. And since my folks lived on the Cape for 12 years, you can bet they took advantage of that! I'll stick close to Chelsea and eat the nuggets and corn.


Oh yes, I think a lot of my tweaking and shopping are going to go by the wayside when Liliana comes. It's hard tod them with a babe in arms!! I CAN'T WAIT!

Did they hire a principal yet? Any layoffs looming for next year? I keep getting bad reports from my other teacher friends in other districts. So many aides positions cuts. SCARY!

Have a great week - hugs, Linda
hugs, Linda