Monday, April 6, 2009

My Spare Time

I have created a monster. Actually two of them. I have been so inspired by stories of people who go to thrift stores and yardsales and find great things to make over that I have started looking around myself... And I have been fairly lucky. But that is only part of this issue. My children love to come with me. My son is a true junker... He loves to find little things that people are throwing out and play with it. At the last yardsale it was one of those egg beaters with the handles and gears. He begged me to take it home so he could play with it. I talked him out of that one because it was huge! He loves to look through the housewares at Goodwill and Salvation Army and give me his advice on what I should buy. And he actually is pretty good at it. He told me to buy the wooden sconce in the picture below so I could paint it. At 99 cents I figured why not?!
These two finds were $1 each at a yardsale. I like the sifter but I really love the other thing. It turns out it is used to grind nuts. Pretty ironic since my husband and my son are deathly allergic. I just thought it was cool so I picked it up.

In other Campbell news, my daughter has a new love...flowers. Each time she goes to the grocery store with daddy she convinces him to buy me flowers. He has always been pretty good about that on his own, but it doesn't hurt to have a little elf-like reminder on my side. Here is the most recent purchase. Mini roses. I took a picture of them today because it was so gloomy out and it just made them look all the more cheerful. I have them sitting on my kitchen table and can't help but smile when I catch sight of them!
Here she is... The girl who helps daddy pick out mom's flowers! She is also a budding shopper. She picks up everything and says "Oooooooo! Pretty!" Uh oh! I am in trouble!

My personal big news is that I signed up to be an At Home America Rep. I was looking for a way to bring in a little extra money... something that did NOT involve kids as I see my class all day and my own cherubs all night. I love to decorate so I figured I would give it a try. If I hate it I will just do it until I earn my free kit and then I will stop. We will see! More details to follow!

I spent the weekend getting myself organized and came up with the idea to have my son draw a picture of a house to use on my labels and business cards. He came up with this:
I love it! It is perfect and it is another thing that makes me happy each time I see it. Can't have too many of those around!

My friends and family and colleagues have been so supportive of this. I already have several bookings and I think I am going to enjoy it! I guess time will tell!!!!
Check out the link to my webpage with AtHome.com (in the right column!).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on your new business venture. I've never heard of At Home America, but if it has to do with decorating you will be fabulous at it! Good luck, and please invite me to your first gig!

Leslie and family said...

Wow Amy, You are amazing...work, kids, AND a new business...how do you find the time!!! Congrats and Good Luck!

The Flanagans said...

Hey you!
Send me a catalogue.. How's everything over there? I love Travis' house! He's such a cutie pie...Let's do something over vacation.

Michele

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

How exciting!!!!!!!! I hope you do very well. You tell those gals I said they need to support local business (and that I miss them!!)

hugs, Linda