Sunday, August 9, 2009

Summer Days Flutter By

Summer is fluttering by at a rapid pace. My kids have each grown up so much this summer. Chelsea is almost fully potty trained (Yeah!). And Travis is reading. The other day they each decided to do something new outside. Chelsea tried out her bike. Here is daddy teaching Chelsea how to pedal.

Travis has been teaching himself to roller skate. He bought these a few years ago with his own money. He never had the patience to work at it before, but he is determined to do it now.

My mom (Mimi) has wanted to take the kids to a nursery that has a butterfly sanctuary. We finally went yesterday. We got there only to read a sign that says that most of the butterflies are still in cocoons! But there were a few already out.

The sanctuary was very pretty. There was a small fish pond and a bridge and waterfall. It was very warm in there.

Travis held out his finger and one of the butterflies landed on it. He was so impressed with himself.


Chelsea was very excited to see the butterflies.


Travis tried to give Chelsea a turn holding the butterfly. It flew away before she could get her hands on him (Lucky Butterfly!). It is probably for the best... Chelsea is not known to be a gentle kid.

The nursery had a huge glider. The kids posed for a picture with Mimi. It reminds me of Lily Tomlin's old skit in her big chair.
Free fun...gotta love that! Actually I bought a basket and a little herb garden thing. But they were on clearance and I only spent $8.50. Not bad. We may go back in a few weeks to see if there are more butterflies. I guess it depends on how the rest of the summer goes! I know I will blink and be back in my classroom teaching again! (Heavy sigh!) So much for living in the moment. I have never been very good at that!

2 comments:

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Hi Amy you slacker ! LOL !! I could never keep up if I had kids at home. Too much else to do and already with Liliana in the picture, I have less free time. Which is precisely why I never went back to work when I quit the school - just so I could be available for the kids and grand kids and my folks too.

I used to feel my kids grew so much over the summer. It was like because they weren't doing as much hard thinking, other things could take over. Good for Travis working hard with his roller skates and soon Chelsea will be peddling away. And they will be so proud of themselves. I loved that part of my kids life so much. Seeing the look when they mastered something.

Enjoy what is left of summer. Sounds like some summer weather ahead!!

hugs, Linda

joanne t hogan said...

Hey Amy what's happened to the blog?? I havent heard from you in a while??? Y'all ok? XX