Saturday, March 14, 2009

weekend warrior...

Weekend warrior... I think that is the term they use for individuals who tackle projects around their house on the weekend. I guess this weekend I was one of them! On Friday night John and I secured the loan to put an addition on our house...Yup, the kids will finally have their own rooms! And our family will be in major debt for the next 5 years. I don't know what it is about major financial decisions or purchases, but I always want to go on a shopping spree after they happen. This lacks logic in ALL ways! If ever there was a time to conserve cash, it would be NOW!

This morning I woke up and had to run some errands. A trip to Walmart was on the list. Instead of indulging my longing to make unnecessary purchases, I got just what was on my list, and bought a few tubes of craft paint. Instead of buying something new, I was going to give one of my oldies a new look. For 5 dollars of paint that I can also use on future projects, I thought this was a great substitution.

I had this box that I kept under the the end table in the living room. It holds my son's books that he makes in school. I have tried on one other occasion to make it look more aged. It was an inexpensive Christmas Tree Shop buy, so I wasn't too concerned about wrecking it. I decided to try again...

This is how I started...
Then I painted all the wood black...
Then I painted it over with several coats of "barn red". Once all of the coats of paint were dry, I distressed it a little with a wood file and sandpaper...
Here is the finished product where it belongs. I think I like it. I am still studying it. Unfortunately this did not cure my desire to shop... but for today, I am satisfied.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The other fun exciting thing I did today was open up my porch. It has been too cold to use it since October. I let the sun warm it up and once it got toasty, I tried to read on the loveseat... My children, on the otherhand, had other ideas as to what I should be doing. They followed my out there and argued with each other and sang loudly and, well, were typical kids! I didn't get much reading done. But that is besides the point... I hung out on the porch... this can only mean one thing... SPRING IS ON ITS WAY.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love how your box came out, Amy. Congrats on your loan. An addition--very exciting! I had a similar afternoon with the boys--I had a plan to do a little something for me, and they had something completely different in mind. How is it that the kiddos always seem to win that battle!?