Sunday, March 22, 2009

Burn, Baby, Burn!!

Another weekend flies by. John was off from work so we got to see a lot of him. This weekend was dedicated to cleaning up the debris from December's ice storm. The snow is gone and now you can really see how much damage there is! It is incredible! On both Saturday and Sunday he got to cut branches with a chainsaw and burning brush. This is John's idea of heaven! Fire and Chainsaws!

I didn't do anything like that this weekend. I just did the basic kid patrol stuff. I took Travis and Chelsea to their friend Caitie's birthday party at Papa Gino's. They were both a little under the weather. Then we went to Mimi's house to see how John, my mom, my aunt, and my uncle were doing in the clean-up. Travis stayed with his dad and I took Chelsea home for a nap. The boys came home smokey and tired but happy. We watched a Thomas the Tank Engine movie and the kids headed up to bed with John. I was still wide awake so I stayed up a while longer.

On Sunday, John went to Dooley's house to chop branches and burn brush and I made the executive decision to keep the kids laying low. They both have hacking coughs. Chelsea is on antibiotics for pneumonia and Travis sounds like he is heading there soon. We hung out and watched movies. Chelsea headed to bed for a nap and Travis and I had some quality time doing some little projects. I had this wooden box that I made in sixth grade in woodshop. It is really not a good size for anything and I have never done anything with it. I decided to tackle it with some paint to see if I could make use of it somewhere. Here is the finished product.
When it was dry I tried it out in several places and decided I liked it best on its side. I have no idea what to do with the cover, but I put it on top of a little cabinet I had found for $5.00 at a thrift store.


Travis decided to paint a little wooden train that we bought at Walmart a few weeks back. He was very intent on doing a good job. It came out really cute and we got to chat and work together.

Chelsea slept longer than I expected. Travis and I had time to back snickerdoodles (his and John's favorite). I can't do a lot of baking with Chelsea because she is allergic to raw eggs and her face will swell. So Travis and I took advantage of the time and made cookies in peace. It is going to be a good dinner...Chicken parm and snickerdoodles for dessert! Everyone is in a good mood, and the kids actually got a few minutes to play outside later in the day. Then it started to SNOW! Come on, spring! What is the hold-up???

Chelsea and I did have some girl time yesteday. I ran some errands and took her with me. I went to Building 19, which can be a gross experience. They have cheap stuff for teachers, though. I didn't find what I was looking for (foam letter blocks) but I did find these cute little pillows stitched with red words. They were only $1.99 so I was happy. Chelsea got skittles and she was thrilled, too.

Now it is back to the grind. Sunday nights can be down-right depressing when you think that you need to run around like crazy for the next five days! I guess for now I will just concentrate on having a good supper with my family! Happy Trails!

3 comments:

My Colonial Home said...

Evening Amy!
Thanks for visiting my Blog and posting such a nice comment.

This is my first visit here and how wonderful....oh your children are so cute! Hope they're feeling better by now.
Sounds like tons of cleanup there.

Karen

Unknown said...

You do such a beautiful job decorating your home. So sorry to hear the kiddos are not feeling great--bring on spring!! I'm not sure what kind of foam letters you were looking for, but in case it's stamps, JoAnn's near me has a bucket of foam letter (upper and lower and numerals) on clearance for $1.97. They had a bunch of them--let me know if you want me to grab you one.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Oh that storm clean up huh??! It is going to be intersting to see which trees green up and which ones don't!

I am sorry to hear the work is delayed. The waiting must be excruciating!!! Ihope when it starts, it moves along smoothly. Just keep your eye on the end results. I can't wait to see it done (and I am sure you are saying TELL ME ABOUT IT! LOL)

hugs, Linda