Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Goodbye Girl

"the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend." -Red in Shawshank Redemption

A friend of mine left yesterday for Abu Dhabi. She is going for two years. I tried to explain to my son that his little friend (her son) has moved away. I think he gets it, but I am not sure. I didn't get to say goodbye in person. And, in retrospect, I guess I am glad. The last day we saw each other we had fun. The kids were getting their pictures taken together and we were at the mall. The kids rode the carousel and played nicely together and in the brief minutes of peace we managed to talk a little. That is the day I want last in my memory, for that memory will now need to last until she visits. I am thankful that it is a happy one.


I know our lives are busy and we never found enough time to spend with each other, but this person has been a fixture in my life since the 5th grade... That is 26 years. Most of the time we were close. Sometimes we lost touch for a while, but came togehter like we had never been apart. Imagine our surprise and happiness when, after years of friendship, our sons were born only 5 months apart and grew to be friends. Then our daughters were born only 3 months apart and were growing into friends as well. And even though I sometimes went a month without ever laying eyes on her, I feel like a piece of my life is missing, like my world is a little less fun knowing she is not across town anymore. So I guess there is nothing to do but to email and send cards and look forward to her infrequent trips home. But I do hope she knows that my thoughts are with her and that I pray that her trip is uneventful in the best way possible. So Leslie, if you get this, hug the kids for me and say hi to all of the sheiks and camels. And most importantly, don't be a stranger...come home soon...safe and sound!

No comments: