Sunday, February 22, 2009

Bargains Galore...

It has been a week of bargains... It started on Monday when we bought a new car. We are now part of the minivan brigade. I must say I do love it. The thought of spending so much money stresses me out. In response, I do a little shopping. Probably not the best idea but I keep it within reason. I did something I never do...I went to Goodwill to look for some accents for the home. I have been reading all of these blogs about how people find treasures among the chaos of their local Goodwill stores so I decided to try my hand. I was pleased with my finds. I also hit a few of my favorite haunts...TJ Maxx and Target. I am not really bound by one style or period over another. My tastes seem to always fall in the "country" category. I pick what I like and don't worry if it is Colonial or primitive or shabby chic. I just like what I like....
I found this bowl in a pile of "junk" when my in laws were selling their house. They were leaving it out for the junk guy to take so I helped myself. I think the grater also came from the pile. I found the wooden spoon in a drawer and decided it was too old to use, but just worn enough to add to the display. But something was missing and I couldn't place my finger on what. Then at Goodwill I found the heart shaped wrought iron muffin tin and the wooden rolling pin. I think I like the way it looks, but I am not sure.
I also found the washboard on my Goodwill trip. I like how it looks layered behind the hutch with all of the stuff on it.
I found the butter crock in there also. Nothing special about it, per se. I have a thing for cobalt blue glass and pottery so I was glad to take it home. Once I cleaned it up I was glad I did. It works with the other items in my kitchen. I also found a red cuttingboard (and the dye is foodsafe!) at Target. I love wooden cutting boards and red is a continuous color scheme throughout my house. Yeah Me!!
On to TJ Maxx where I found this little cabinet. I am using it for spices. I like the fact that it looks distressed and I love the punched tin doors. And there are even stars on it! I guess it was just made for my kitchen!

4 comments:

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Hi Amy,

Nice to meet you! Do you teach at Edwards? I know lots of people there - Carol and Linda (sisters), Sherri, Maura, Diane - to name just a few! Did I name the one you meant? One town over huh? St? Ho? Bo? LOL trying to not give anything away in case you don't want it public. You probbaly know I lived in WB at one time and taught preschool there many years.

Thanks fo saying hi!! COme again.
hugs, Linda

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Well please say hi to all of the gals when you see them! Linda and Carol's kids came to my preschool. I worked with Sherri on several grants and with Special Needs kiddo's as I did with Maura and Diane. Carol and Linda have been to my home several times for get togethers of former school mom's and teachers.

I grew up in Worcester and got my nursing degree from QCC and did graduate work for teaching there and lived on East Mountain Street so I know Greendale well. My hubby and son work at Babcock - the big brick building that shares the parking lot with best buy. When I first went to QCC I used to cut through Norton's on my way to Indian Hill - long before 190 was there. Our son lives off Grove Street up near St. Peter/Marion.

Are the old Norton Houses on or near New B. Street area? I didn't realize they had houses but it makes sense for back in the day.

I look forward to seeing what you do to the house!

{lauren} said...

Hi Amy! Thanks for stopping by..I love new visitors:)

You have two adorable children yourself! And it's always fun to see another member of the Thomas Addicts Anonymous Club..haha! I realize that Noah is very young, and doesn't really get anything yet, but he sure does love watching the videos and suckin' on the big push-along Thomas we got him! I'm sure we'll be in the phase for a while though...my nephew was a HUGE Thomas fan, and now since Noah has "gotten into" it (aka his DADDY is into it!) my niece Abby has taken a liking to it all as well. She had a birthday this week, in fact, that was Thomas themed, presents and all. So we'll see how long it lasts....hopefully long enough to justify some of my husband's purchases so far!

Anyway...thanks again for visiting! Come back...I'll visit you again as well!

Birgit said...

Hi Amy,
Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's always fun to meet another fellow blogger.
Yes, my life revolves around my kids so much, I know I'll be a terrible empty nester.
As far as At Home America goes, my good friend is a consultant and she just loves it. She has won a couple of trips and cruises doing it and she only works her business part time as she has a part time day job as well.
You have two beautiful children and I enjoyed reading what you'll miss about them when they stop. Believe me, you'll miss the daily interruptions too. :)
Come by and visit again soon.
Blessings~ Birgit